Pet fans of the UK unite! National Pet Month April 1 – May 1 2017 is almost here!
National Pet Month, now in its 28th year, is a nationwide celebration that promotes responsible pet ownership and helps people raise much-needed funds for UK pet charities. It’s easy for anyone to get involved, from social media chats using the hashtag #NationalPetMonth to organising or attending events.
Pets play a valuable role in our lives1 and National Pet Month’s main theme this year is ‘There’s a pet out there for you’, highlighting that there is a pet out there for everyone, whatever walk of life you’re from, but it’s important to choose the best fit for your lifestyle.
This year National Pet Month is delighted to announce an exciting new partnership with Tesco Bank Pet Insurance who have become 2017’s headline sponsor.
Michael Bellingham, Chairman of National Pet Month is thrilled to welcome Tesco Bank on board and is calling on all UK pet lovers to get involved.
He said: “It’s fantastic to partner with Tesco Bank for National Pet Month’s 2017 campaign and we are looking forward to working with our Tesco colleagues to promote responsible pet ownership, as well as to celebrate life with our pets.
“National Pet Month is an umbrella charity, offering a fantastic opportunity to join together to celebrate our country’s great love of pets, to remind us of the importance of taking good care of our pets and to help people raise funds for the UK’s incredible pet charities who help so many pets in need.
“Check out our five simple ways to get involved during National Pet Month, whether it’s to raise awareness or raise funds. We can promote what you do through our social media channels and the events map on our website – www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk”
David McCreadie, Managing Director of Tesco Bank said: “We understand just how important our customers’ pets are to them and that’s why we are supporting National Pet Month. National Pet Month is both a celebration of the joy pets can bring, but also a great reminder of our responsibility to look after them. Over the coming months, we will be helping customers take better care of their pets by hosting a number of Pet Roadshows at stores across the UK2 that customers can come along to. These will offer people the chance to see vet led demos on topics such as brushing your pet’s teeth and grooming and to ask questions on all things pet related.”
National Pet Month launches on Saturday, April 1 with a Twitter virtual launch party between 4pm and 6pm, where pet fans can join in the fun online, talk all things pet and enter our competitions where there’ll be some awesome prizes up for grabs.
Look out for your Twitter party ‘invite’ on our social media channels in the coming weeks and search for #NPMLaunch and #NationalPetMonth to be part of the launch on April 1
Five simple ways pet fans can join in National Pet Month 2017:
1. Register as an NPM supporter on our website http://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/_members/ It’s free and only takes a minute.
2. Follow us on social media and let’s talk pets www.fb.com/NationalPetMonth, www.fb.com/JoinScratchingPost (cat fans), www.fb.com/JoinParkBench (dog fans) and on Twitter @NatPetMonthUK Look out for regular blogs, competitions, fun facts, news from our sponsor Tesco Pet Insurance and lots more!
3. Tell your friends about us and get your local vet practices, pet shops, businesses and pet charities involved by staging a fundraising event for a favourite UK pet charity - sponsored dog walks, pet themed fairs and fetes, a take your dog to work day or a pet friendly church service are all great fundraisers. Check out our website for ideas and tips on how to promote your event too.
4. Get your kids’ school involved. With valuable input from TV vet Marc Abraham, we have great pet themed lesson plans which can be downloaded from http://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/schools
5. Have an inspiring rescue pet story to share? Tell us about it and you could feature on the NPM blog. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on National Pet Month go to www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk
For more information on Tesco Bank Pet Insurance go to http://www.tescobank.com/pet-insurance/
You can follow our sponsor on Facebook @tesco.bank and on Twitter using the handle @TescoBankNews
National Pet Month takes place from Apri 1 – May 1, 2017
For more information and media enquiries on National Pet Month, please contact:
Asha Clearwater (Turquoise Tiger)
For more information and media enquiries regarding Tesco Bank Pet Roadshows or Tesco Bank Pet Insurance, please contact:
Nicola Lowry (Tesco Bank)
0131 479 1346
NOTE TO EDITORS
National Pet Month is a registered charity number 1114880 and is sponsored by Tesco Bank.
Trustees are the Petfood Manufacturers’ Association (PFMA) and NOAH (National Office of Animal Health).
1The recently published paper by CABI ‘The Economic Impact of Companion Animals in the UK’ (Sophie Hall, Luke Dolling, Katie Bristow, Ted Fuller and Daniel S Mills). It includes the estimation that through reduced number of doctor visits, pet ownership in the UK may reduce use of the NHS to the value of £2.45 billion/year.
2 Tesco Bank Pet Roadshows are being held at the following dates, times and venues;
National Pet Month’s Top 10 tips for responsible pet ownership
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6. Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability.